These are sometimes referred to as “Hobo Dinners”, but I most often hear it as “tinfoil dinners”. These are my favorite meals for camping! I don’t know about you, but I LOVE camping! Spending time in the outdoors is so refreshing from the busy, busy lives we live! This is such a hearty, delicious, flavorful meal for the outdoors!
servings // 2
1 lb Ground Meat (Beef, Turkey, etc) I recommend using 1/2 lb per person
3-4 Whole Carrots, chopped
5-6 Russet Potatoes, Sliced VERY thinly (they cook faster the more thinly you slice them)
1-2 Red or Orange Bell Peppers, sliced thinly
2 tsp Garlic Salt
1 Tbl Chili Powder
1. Lay out a square of tinfoil about twice the size of your meat.
2. Combine the spices and S&P with the meat
3. Spray the tinfoil with cooking spray and place the meat onto the foil. Spraying the foil helps the meat not to stick
4. Arrange the carrots, potatoes, and bell peppers on top of the meat
5. Wrap the tinfoil, bring both sides in and connect edges to form a “Teepee” and then fold down edges together until it touches the meat closely, then fold in opposite 2 sides
6. Wrap tinfoil with 1 layer of newspaper; this helps to provide insulation for the meat and veggies so they don’t burn as they heat
7. Wrap at least 1 more time in foil; I usually do at least 2 layers with tinfoil and newspaper.
8. Once you’re out at your campsite, heat the bricketts/coal until they turn white, then place your tinfoil dinners on top and cook for approximately 45 minutes, checking once to make sure their cooked through.
9. Another variation i’ve done is the same recipe, but covered the meat and veggies in about 1/2 cup of BBQ sauce, and that is also a yummy, saucy, version!