There are a few good ways to cook artichokes, but I tried 2 of them this past week & loved the way they cooked! I searched for different dips to eat these delicious leaves with, but I have to say my favorite is melted butter! Nothing is better than creamy butter!
#1. STEAMED ON THE STOVE (app: 45 minutes)
1. First cut about 1/2 off of the leaves to remove the sharp spikes on the ends, also pull off any straggler leaves at the bottom towards the stem
2. Cut off about an inch off the stem of the artichoke
3. Cut about 3/4 of an inch off the top of the artichoke
4. Next Rinse the artichoke under cool water, and bring a large pot of water to boil, add a clove of garlic, a slice of lemon and a bay leaf
5. Place a steaming basket on top of the pot of water, and place your artichokes in the basket. Cover with a lid and let it steam for about 25-45 minutes
6. It will be ready when you can easily pull the leaves off, or until a fork can pierce the stem easily
#2. MICROWAVE (app: 8 minutes)
1. Prepare as above; trim the leaves, pull leaves off at stem, cut 3/4 inch off top of artichoke and one inch off the stem
2. Place artichokes in a microwave safe dish.
3. Fill the dish with about 1/4 of an inch of water.
4. Cover dish with plastic wrap
5. Set microwave to 7 minutes for 1 artichoke, and 10 minutes for 2 artichokes.
6. Again, it should be done cooking if you can easily pull the leaves off or pierce the stem
There are a number of ways to dip these yummy little leaves, but I like melted butter and garlic powder, yum!