There is something about homemade pizza that I simply have not been able to perfect…. until TODAY! I have to admit, this pizza was incredible! I mean, my husband is the pizza king & he even said this was real good! I’m pretty sure he even said this was the best pizza crust I have ever made…. or maybe that was in my dream, either way, we approve! So there ya go, enough said 🙂 But what I really love about this pizza, was that the crust was perfectly fluffy & thick on top with just the right amount of crispy-ness on the bottom! Oh how I love crispy pizza. I felt like a real cook today folks, & that doesn’t happen often! I’m pretty proud of this one! Try it!
Makes 2 Pizzas
1 1/3 Cups Warm Water
1 Package of Active Dry Yeast (2 1/4 tsp)
3 1/2 Cups of All-Purpose Unbleached Flour
2 Tbl Extra Virgin Olive Oil
2 tsp Salt
1 Tbl Sugar
1. Combine the water and yeast in a stand mixer or large bowl and let stand for the yeast to dissolve-about 5 minutes
2. Then add the rest of the ingredient list and mix on low speed for about 1 minute (or by hand).
3. Knead dough for about 7 minutes with the dough hook on medium speed with a stand mixer or 10 minutes with hand, until the dough is smooth and elastic
4. Transfer the dough to a large bowl lightly coated with olive oil. Place plastic wrap or a clean,dry cloth over top of bowl and let rise in a warm place until doubled in size, about 1 1/2 hours.
5. Preheat oven to 475 degrees and grease pizza pan or baking sheet and dust with flour
6. Punch down the dough and divide it in half. Roll each piece into a ball and let rest, loosely covered for another 10-15 minutes while you prepare your desired toppings
7. Flatten your dough ball and roll out onto a lightly floured surface. Should roll out into a 12 inch round
8. Transfer your dough round to your prepared baking sheet and place prepared toppings onto dough. To prevent edge crust from getting soggy you can brush olive oil on edges.
9. Bake for approximately 15 minutes
This recipe makes 2 pizzas, & since it is just the 2 of us, & we do like to watch our waistline, we made 1 pizza with two different toppings. We did a little BBQ chicken on one side, & a little margherita madness on the other. They were both SO good! Oh & what happened to my other dough ball? I froze it for later! Simply lightly oil a ziploc freezer bag and place your dough ball in the bag and press all the air out of the bag, label and place in the freezer for up to 3 months.
BBQ Chicken Topping:
4 Boneless Skinless Chicken Tenderloins
BBQ Sauce (sweet baby ray’s)
2 Tbl Ketchup
A little BBQ sauce as a base
1. My favorite way to shred chicken; take your chicken (breasts or tenderloins) and place in skillet with 2 Tbl butter over medium heat. Heat for about 5-6 minutes, then flip chicken pieces and pour 1/2 – 3/4 C water in skillet and cover, cook over medium heat for another 6-8 minutes until chicken is cooked thoroughly.
2. Once chicken is cooked, place in a medium bowl and shred with 2 forks. Pour sauce mixture over chicken and let sit until time to top the pizza!
Roma tomatoes-sliced thin (I only had cherry tomatoes, that’s why my tomatoes look so small)
Mozzerella Cheese Block-so you can cut nice big slices
Fresh Basil (fresh is best!)
A little tomato sauce as a base
1. I put a little tomato pasta sauce over the pizza, very lightly as a base. Then place sliced tomatoes down first, next place slices of mozzarella over tomato and lastly place basil pieces all over.
Pizza dough recipe from The Joy of Cooking//2006