Servings: 9X13 Pan, approx 25 bars
1 3/4 C All Purpose Flour
2/3 C Powdered Sugar, plus extra to sprinkle on bars
1/4 C Cornstarch
1/2 tsp Salt
12 Tbl Butter (1 1/2 sticks), at cool room temperature, cut into small pieces (*I used unsalted butter and it turned out great!)
4 Large Eggs
1 1/3 C Granulated Sugar
3 Tbl All Purpose Flour
2 tsp Grated Lemon Zest, from 2 large lemons
2/3 C freshly squeezed lemon juice, from 4 large lemons
1/3 C Milk
pinch of Salt
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 9X13 pan with foil or parchment paper and lightly grease foil/parchment
2. Stir together the flour, powdered sugar, cornstarch, and salt ( I used the whisk on my KitchenAid, but you can mix with your hands or food processor). Add the pieces of butter and cut into the dry ingredients with a pastry blender, or a fork.
3. Sprinkle the mixture into the prepared pan and press into an even layer on the bottom and about 1/2 inch up on the sides. Refrigerate for 15-30 minutes. Then bake until golden brown, 20 minutes.
4. For the filling, whisk together the eggs, sugar and flour in a medium bowl and then stir in the lemon zest, juice (*If you rub the whole lemon on the counter back and forth it helps to get the juices loose and easier to squeeze out. Also once you cut the lemon in half, keep the cut side up as you squeeze over the bowl and you won’t get any seeds into your mixture!) and milk to combine.
5. Pour the filling onto the warm crust (must be warm!) and reduce the temperature to 325 degrees and bake for about 18-20 minutes.
6. Cool the bars to room temperature and sprinkle with additional powdered sugar and cut into bars!
Recipe from Mel’s Kitchen Cafe